Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow time

I can finally say I know what a real winter feels like. Back home (I'm originally from deep south Texas), it's cold (60 degrees) one day and scorching hot the next day. Only in the Valley can you get a sun tan in the winter... actually all year round. Back home a cold front (70 degrees and below) means grab a light sweater or jacket and don't forget your flip-flops cause by noon time, it's time to take off the sweater. Now that I've relocated to North Texas, we actually have seasons. I got to experience freezing weather (Actually, so did the Valley... I think it's cause the Valley really missed me) and while I've seen snow once in my life several years before, this was what I've been waiting for.
We got about 5-6 inches of snow, which is nothing compared to many parts of the country, but it was enough to get me excited. It was around 10 or 11 pm last night when we noticed that it was snowing. I ran outside to take a quick look and I was in heaven. I felt like "Kim Boggs" in "Edward Scissorhands" dancing under the falling snow... OK, so in my case there was no Edward shaving ice... and it only lasted literally three seconds because I had my mom yelling, "Get inside, you're gonna get sick"! So that was a major party crasher for me but considering I cant afford to get sick, I suppose she was right. I woke up with excitement... like Christmas day excitement. The light shined through my window, only much brighter. The sun, although barely shining, radiated off the snow and illuminated my room. I had such a big smile on my face... but when I realized it was so cold the dog didn't even want to go outside to do her business, I kinda figured I'd stay inside myself and observe the beauty from with in the comfort of our warm and cozy home. After a while, I gathered the courage to endure the cold. I threw on my boots, gloves, scarf, and jacket. I felt so bundled up, I waddled like a penguin from all those layers... It was still cold but I managed to gasp at the sight. I was ready to roll on the ground and make a snow angel, but the dogs changed my mind. They started playing and somehow got snow on my face. Ummm, Scratch that. Forget the snow angel if that means I have lay on the ground and get cold... Needless to say, later in the day, I'd be laying in the snow.
We stayed inside most of the day. I know, I know, my second experience with snow and I'm not having fun. I'm also not a five year old and my immune system isn't exactly prepared for me to get sick. We went out to run a few errands in town. I decided to look cute rather than sensible for this weather. I opted for some boots that had no grip instead of my cowgirl boots (What??? It's rare we go into town and you never know who you're gonna meet. I just had to look cute! Don't judge lol) Anyway, we were still on the property and I got off to open the main gait... I walked less than 6 ft before I slipped/flew on my back. It happened so sudden, I didn't have time to think lol. When I realized what happened I didn't know if I should cry or laugh, so I did a little of both. I was mostly scared, I feared for my baby's safety. My mom got out shocked and worried but she did manage to get a few laughs in as well. We were all concerned... but I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm more than positive this is going to be a very interesting winter season.

No comments: